Monday, August 1, 2011

Uganda Here We Are!!

Monday, August 1, 2011

After landing in Addis to a beautiful day (approx. 65 degrees and sunny), we headed to our next gate for our flight to Entebbe, Uganda.  Only a couple hours worth of a layover and we were onto the next leg of the trip.  No one wasted anytime getting to sleep on this flight.  Had I not been woken by the flight attendant with a meal that I didn’t really want, I would have been out for entire 90 minute flight.  But, I also needed to take my anti-malaria meds, so I guess it worked out.  A quick bite and back to sleep to only be woken by a VERY hard landing.  I can’t prove it, but I swear the left wing brushed the ground at some point. 

Getting our visa and clearing customs was a breeze.  We were met by our drivers and we were off to our first hotel.  The 90+ minute drive was awesome.  We saw beautiful scenery, lots of people and houses of all makes and sizes.  We actually drove past the King’s compound, which was very modest by our standards. 

We checked into our hotel, which we had been warned was going to be our most primitive hotel to sleep at.  I have to say, that while it is far below our standards (no hot water, 4 beds to a room, no AC, and electrical outages periodically), I have no complaints.  We are not here to be pampered, rather to serve, so I will be pulling my mosquito net tonight and crashing on my 4” thick piece of foam, and I will have not problems sleeping.

We took several hours putting everyone’s donations out on the tables tonight and divided them for the weeks ahead.  I know I have said this, but it truly is amazing what this group of people has done.  We estimated that there are at least 3000 pounds of donations for us to give out.

Dinner tonight at the hotel, and off to bed for the first time in over 30 hours.  I’m definitely excited for tomorrow.  I’m leading the TRX workout at 6:00 am, then breakfast at 7:30, and off to our first group of kids at 8:30. 

Sunday, July 31, 2011

A long, but good flight…

Whoever said a prayer that my flight was a good experience, it worked.  I don’t know that anyone likes 12+ hour flights, but I was put in an exit row with a good 6 feet of legroom in front of me.  I can’t ask for more than that.  Jason was not so blessed.  He got the window seat in the very last row in the plane.  I guess at least he is close to the bathrooms J

Meeting everyone on this trip has been amazing and humbling.  People have traveled great distances and from all walks of life.  We have teenagers, a college student who doesn’t know anyone, but felt led to be here, young men just starting their “real” lives, parents with small children, dads with grown children (many of them are with us), and a gentleman close to my parent’s age who is struggling with family losses at home.  How we have been assembled, I’m not smart enough to understand, but we are all here and ready for the mission.

My emotions have run high all morning, but I’ve been reading some devotions and watching some movies to decompress and I’m finally at peace with everyone and ready to take everything on, no matter what is thrown our way.  To steal a Dude Perfect term, I’m ready to “Go Big.”

Unfortunately, only 30 minutes of sleep on the flight.

1 comment: