Thursday, August 16, 2012

Man Up Day #2: Korah

It seems funny, but I shared with my dad today as we were traveling around the city of Addis Ababa that I feel very calm, relaxed and at peace here in Africa.  It may be just that my cell phone doesn't work, I don't have to drive, and I'm not in a hurry to do much of anything.  Or, it could be that God is telling me that he loves that I come to serve and He wants me to continue.  Whatever the reason, I like it.

The day started with my visit to our adoption agency's office to pick up paperwork.  It went very smoothly and they were very helpful.  My goal for the morning was to not do anything that would land me in a third world country's jail.  I accomplished that and got my documents, so all is good.

Then it was off to Korah for the day.  Korah is the leper colony where many people live off of what they find in the city dump.  With this being my 3rd time there in the last year, it is becoming a second home.  We went on a tour of the community for a bit and I was able to say hi to all of the kids that I have become friends with.  They have become so special to me.  The older kids are home from boarding school, so I can see everyone.

My good friend Sintayehu lives in Korah when he isn't away at school (he's 17).  Last summer, the Man Up team performed a home makeover for his family and I bonded with him and his family.  Shannon and I were able to visit him in December as well, so I really like him and enjoyed spending time with him again.  He wrote me a really sweet letter tonight as something to take home with me.  I will cherish it for years to come.

We visited with the women of Mission Ethiopia today as well.  These women have incredible testimonies and work very hard to create beautiful handmade jewelry.  I know many of you have supported them and some of our projects by purchasing beaded necklaces.  These women are simply amazing and our team was blessed to be able to speak with them and worship with them as well.

As the day moved on, we stopped for pizza at my favorite place to eat in Addis, Island Breeze.  It seems funny that their brick oven pizza is so good, but it is nothing short of amazing and they never disappoint.

Tonight be made our way back to Korah for Roger's daily bible study with the boys of Korah (in the Man Up Cave, as they call it).  The group started with 7 young men and has grown to over 30 tonight.  Seven young men came to know Jesus for the first time tonight and the Man Up team was happy to help Roger with that part of his ministry.  He is really doing an amazing job.

After bible study, we had a bonfire, popcorn and soda with the boys.  It was a great way to end a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment