Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Travel Day

Once again, I am behind here, but I'll post each day in order...


Today is the day we officially say goodbye to Ethiopia and hello to Uganda.  It is always bitter sweet and I have to say that we didn’t spend enough time in Ethiopia.  Hopefully the stars will align soon and Shannon and I will be back very soon to visit our friends when we travel to bring Zion home.  I am, however, ready to be done with the rainy season in Ethiopia.

The flight was uneventful, as was the trip through immigration and customs (just the way we like it).  Our favorite Ugandan bus driver, named Abus, was ready and waiting to take us to our home base of Canaan’s Children’s Home for the next 4 nights. 

The travel from Entebbe airport was filled with lots of scenery, traffic, motorcycles and potholes.  It is always great to get to see Lake Victoria (the second largest lake on Earth) and all of its beautiful wildlife. 


As we pulled into Canaan’s, we received the normal rock star welcome.  The kids greet us by surrounding the bus and cheering until we open the doors and enter the mob of young people.  It was so heartwarming that I was the first off of the bus and immediately spotted my good friend Richard (age 9), and shortly later my boy Stuart (7).  Both of them became my good friends last year and we haven’t missed a beat.  We quickly reconnected.  Shannon and I sponsor Stuart, so our family is directly tied to him in more ways than 1.  It means a lot to us and them that both Shannon and I can visit them and love on them at different times throughout the year. 


We were also greeted by one of my favorite people in the world, Pastor Isaac.  He really is one of the greatest men that I know and truly a Man of God.  He teaches me so much whenever we talk and I treasure the time we have together.  He inspires me to be a better father, husband, and overall man. 


The day ended with a tasty meal made by Momma Rebecca and some of the girls here and then some fellowship with the team and leaders at Canaan’s. 

This day was a nice mental break for the team and allowed us to recharge a bit.  Tomorrow is church in the morning and serving the kids of Canaan’s in the afternoon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment